Monday, September 1, 2008

It's All Work AND Play

Well, the title is true! I've been doing considerably more studying this year, and yet somehow I still manage to fit in a decent social life complete with fun projects. Tis nuts.


On Saturday we had another study group at Starbucks. I swear, I've never done that much Biology so fast! It left me borderline comatose. The good news is that we're finally starting chapters with topics we can sink our teeth into and digest something of substantial value. For example, these next two chapters all about biochemistry and water. Friggin' fascinating stuff. .. .. I am such a geek. -.- . *closet geek!*

Today, we had another study group (same bunch from last Friday's study group) and we did a decent amount of work. Who am I kidding?! We did very little. Just about 5 questions apiece. The rest of the time we joked around, listen and critiqued music, examined the possible sexualities of the barrista, made fun of Shuyao's "yellow snow" drink, and discussed broad biology topics. I'd still call that a productive study secession! Sort of.


I got a new cork board this weekend! Here are some pictures:



^^Sideways-but my calendar and caricature of my pastor

^^ My sketch of my preaching pastor crying out "He is risen!!" (though he's never said it)


^^ Awesome postcard for Chicago University that shows the caffiene molecule, and then my tack interpretation of it!


So I will hopefully be a little more organized this year... >.>


On a completely different topic, I've turning into a planning
behemoth. Scary, right? Well, I'm actually planning a huge Halloween party, where we'll all dress in full Harry Potter regalia and pretend to witches and wizards while we pass out candy to little kids. Hopefully, through the help of basic chemistry and some firecrackers, we can cast magic spells. It'll be a night of absolute enchantment (no pun intended). Tonight, I fixed up a 3' spider and 2' bat with some scary red LED lighted eyes! It was a lot of fun, doing a small project like that- but the fun will really grow exponentially when you find out what I'm doing with them. Aragog (the spider, aptly named after the giant spider from Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets) will romp around on a small RC buggy, chasing down some of the miscreant children. On the other hand, Buffy (the ironically named bat) will take to the sky in the form of a fishing wire zipline and swoop down to terrorize the parents. Granted, repeatedly launching this would be exhausting, so I'm considering towing Buffy by means of another small RC truck I have.

Here are some pictures of the frightening pets:


^^ Aggghhh!!! The red eyes!! So creepy!!

^^ You know, there's a Visine for that..



So yeah.. that's been my weekend in a nutshell. We'll see how this school week unfurls.

- Jonathan


PS- Leave a comment if you'd like to join us for the Harry Potter fun!

1 comment:

Blondie said...

i cant wait for halloween! its going to be fun!